We decorated gingerbread cookies.




One can have too many paracord bracelets, and I think I already do, but whatever. This one is l33t green!


We made paper stars.

It’s fun to make Christmas decorations but hard to find place for them. It feels like the house is full of various crafted stars and elves and snowmen and trees, and they just accumulate with the years. The kids make new ones almost every year and don’t ever want to get rid of any of theirs. At least these small paper ones don’t feel like a huge investment so we can throw them out (or rather, recycle them) when Christmas is over.


One elbow patch done. Phew!

I like to imagine that if the designer of this cardigan had decided to add elbow patches, then they would have chosen to make them just like this.


Six pacman-shaped spider eyes and a multitude of viciously sharp teeth.

The shape of my pumpkin and some curved “scars” on it inspired an abstract design.


I made myself a traditional SpĂ„nga woggle, and learned that it is called a “woggle” in English.


Still working on the cardigan.


We did end up painting some eggs after all.

The problem I have with traditions is that after a while it feels like I’ve already done it all. Eggs with stripes, eggs with dots, eggs with curlicues, eggs with large swirls of colour, eggs with designs of spring flowers and chickens… Done them all so many times that it feels boring to do them again.

This year instead of Easter eggs I made a Valentine’s egg, a Halloween egg, a Christmas egg and a New Year’s egg.


That cardigan the cardigan I started some years ago? It failed. Despite my calculations and gauge swatches, it came out too small so I ripped it all up when I was well over halfway. Then I was so disappointed and annoyed with the whole project that I put it away for a long time. Now I feel up to a new attempt.

Since the swatches didn’t help me get the sizing right, I simply made three starts this time, varying some parameter each time.

The first one is the same size as my first attempt, and with the same needle size, but I tried to knit more loosely.
The second one is the next size up, keeping the same needle size and yarn tension. (Can’t be 100% sure about the tension but I think I kind of remember.)
The third one is the same size and same yarn tension, but with thicker needles.

And to complicate things, I’ve switched the type of needle I use, because I discovered that I like stainless steel much better than aluminium.

I’m not sure if this helped at all. They all feel roughly the same size, except the one that I thought would be smallest (small size, small needles, looser knitting) is a bit larger than the others. But it’s very hard to measure large, curved, floppy things, and also hard try on a small piece of a cardigan that barely covers my shoulders. None of them feels too small, at least.

It may be that I can pick any one of these three and keep going and it’ll be fine. Or maybe it’s not possible to judge the size this early in the project and the result will turn out too small or too large anyway. I have no idea where this will end up.

I guess I’ll pick one and keep going. And if this attempt also goes wrong, then I might simply give up on this project.